new use for rsync

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Sat Oct 13 03:45:29 EST 2001

I have a home box that I was worried about it perhaps having a rootkit
on it.

I used a few rsync commands to compare a known good system to the
suspect one. I think rsync was a good tool for this. I still have to do
other checking for a potential hack problem, but rsync got me off to a
good start. I like how flexible rsync is.

I used:
rsync -nR -e ssh -av $src $dst

I also did a rsync with a -c just to double check things. The only files
that rysnc reported diffs on were ones that I expected to be different.

eric