rsync copy speed.

Andre Pang ozone at algorithm.com.au
Wed Oct 10 21:01:13 EST 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:53:01PM +0800, Hans E. Kristiansen wrote:

> Each client uses ssh to start a server script in their home
> directories, which in turn mounts the client drive to perform
> the actual backup.
>
> On other days, I use rsync -avW, ( which is marginally better
> than -av ), together with a --compare-dest to the Monday backup,
> as to limit the number of files selected for backup.

ssh is your problem; remember it takes CPU time to compress
everything, and over a 100MBit network, ssh takes far more CPU
time than rsync, which slows down the transfer considerably.

if you don't need ssh, take 10 minutes to set up rsyncd (rsync
--daemon mode), and copy it that way.  i've found that is far more
reliable than transferring over ssh, and it's _much_ faster, too.

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone at algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save