Rsync Throughput issues

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Oct 10 00:14:31 EST 2001

You might try putting the rsycd (server) on the source.  rsync as a server is really designed for read-only.  The read-write support is an afterthough, and very flaky.  Martin, Tridge, Wayne:  correct me if that's not true any more.
Make sure you're not using --bwlimit=, unless you need to parcel your bandwidth (In my situation, I do).
Don't use -H, unless you actually use multiple hard links to files, as that adds tremendous overhead on large filesystems.
If the files are nfs mounted, use -W, else you will read both files completely, before you transfer anything... might as well just send it if datestamp or size differs.
I doubt ssh was giving you any slowdown, unless you're cpu-limited on one or the other box.  If you don't need the security, and policy permits, plain rsh transport might be a bit faster.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips
Available as n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn, 19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970), ".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Ben Ricker <rickerb at mindspring.com>@lists.samba.org on 10/08/2001 06:50:02 PM

Sent by:  rsync-admin at lists.samba.org