Why does one of there work and the other doesn't

Ian Kettleborough ian at idk.com
Fri Nov 30 17:58:06 EST 2001

I was planning to use rsync to backup to a second drive, but I ran out of
swap space. No problem, I will let rsync do it a few directories at a time
overnight when the computer usually sits idle except for incomming email.

I have 2 question:

1. How much memory does each file to be copied need. Obvisiouly I have too many
files.

2. Why does this command work:

	rsync -ax /usr/xx /backup/usr/

  when:

	rsync -ax /usr/xx/ /backup/usr/

	refuses to create the directory xx in /backup/usr and copies
	the contents of the directory to /backup

Happens on both 2.4.7Pre4 and 2.5.0 just released.

Thanks
Ian