problem with 2.4.7pre4

Dave Madole dmadole at Zantaz.com
Fri Nov 30 08:06:39 EST 2001

I've had similar problems with a >800M file and 2.4.7pre4. In one transfer,
the program just
went away, and resulted in reiserfs going into an endless loop waiting for a
buffer to be freed (the machine had to be rebooted, but I'd say that even the
potential for going into an endless loop like that may be a shortcoming of
reiserfs).  This, of course, may have had nothing to do with rsync, and, of
course, this hasn't been repeatable (we've tried).  Another time rsync just
hung for a good minute at about 60% of the transfer and then proceeded (this
may have been ssh related).

Other times it is okay.

It also seems that at one point rsync wasn't recognizing that "two" of the
800M files were actually hard linked together, although in the same run it
did fine with smaller files (of the same name in different directories).

Again, these could be operator error.

Dave