Rsync: Re: patch to enable faster mirroring of large filesyst ems

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Nov 30 07:11:33 EST 2001

Keating, Tim [TKeating at origin.ea.com] writes:

>  - If there's a mismatch, the client sends over the entire .checksum
> file.  The server does the compare and sends back a list of files to
> delete and a list of files to update. (And now I think of it, it
> would probably be better if the server just sent the client back the
> list of files and let the client figure out what it needed, since
> this would distribute the work better.)

Whenever caching checksums comes up I'm always curious - how do you
figure out if your checksum cache is still valid (e.g., properly
associated with its file) without re-checksumming the files?

Are you just trusting size/timestamp?  I know in my case I've got
database files that don't change timestamp/size and yet have different
contents.  Thus I'd always have to do full checksums so I'm not sure
what a cache would buy.

-- David