cannot create .hosts.b0WX1x : File exists

Rok Krulec Rok.Krulec at fpp.edu
Thu Nov 29 02:29:35 EST 2001

Hello,

when I do:
/opt/rsync/bin/rsync /etc/hosts targethost::bkp/

I get:
cannot create .hosts.b0WX1x : File exists

I check the targethost and I get empty file .hosts.b0WX1x

When trying with other targethost-s it works, but on this one it doesn't.
On the other targethosts I have exactly the same LinuX distribution,
permissions and users than on the problem targethost.
I have exactly the same configuration than on the other machines, except
on probelm targethost I have SCSI hard disk.

When i strace the rsync --deamon i get:

4697  open(".hosts.b0WX1x", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|0x8000, 0600) = 4
4697  open(".hosts.b0WX1x", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|0x8000, 0600) = -1 EEXIST (File exists)

It seems like it opens the file ReadWrite and then tries to open it
readonly. I don't know why. It bangs then.

Thanks for any hint,
   Rok Krulec

Portoroz/Slovenia, 28.Nov 2001 @ 15:34 CET
Public GnuPG key @ http://rok.fpp.edu/pgp.key