rsync server over SSH [includes code patches]

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Nov 28 10:26:35 EST 2001

On 27 Nov 2001, Dave Dykstra <dwd at bell-labs.com> wrote:

> 2.4.7 isn't released yet.  Martin has put a lot of changes in the last week
> into CVS, and when I tried it yesterday it didn't compile anywhere but
> Linux.  Today it looks a bit better but I still have problems on all my
> platforms except Linux & Sgi.  Anyway, the point is that it's probably
> better for you to wait until he does make a release to save yourself some
> work because it isn't done changing.
>
> Martin, the problem on all my platforms is that it can't find AF_INET6 when
> compiling lib/inet_pton.c (I compile on the oldest releases of each type
> that are still in active use so I can rely on upward compatibility; for
> example, it works on Solaris 7 but not Solaris 5.5.1).

Yes, the IPv6 patch which was supposed to not break anything unless
--enabled actually turned out to break most things aside from
BSD/Linux, and I have been gradually trying to sort out their header
files.

Other good news is that "make check" now seems to work on most
platforms, except for Redhat/Insure++ which generates some
apparently spurious warnings.

> AF_INET6
> __P(())

Thanks, I know about those two.  I'm going to try to fix them today.

I'm not sure if you've seen this:

  http://build.samba.org:80/build.pl?tree=rsync&function=Recent+Builds

It's a pretty good tool, since I don't have direct access to (for
example) a CRAY.  The downside is that it requires changes to be
checked in to HEAD for them to be tested.

It's not easy being green!

> That's a simple fix, but going beyond that getaddrinfo.c has a
> problem because __P isn't defined.

__P is an idiom for handling old compilers that can't cope with ANSI
prototypes.  We don't support them, so I just need to get rid of it.

--
Martin