rsync server over SSH [includes code patches]

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Nov 26 12:47:26 EST 2001

On 25 Nov 2001, Jeremy Hansen <jeremy at xxedgexx.com> wrote:

> Ok, I have the patch working, things seems to work except that using hosts
> allow in the rsyncd.conf seems to break things.

What an interesting bug. :-)

The proximate connection to the rsync server will be from the sshd
process which is running on the server host, so stdin will probably be
a unix-domain socket.  In other words because rsync is not directly
connected to the client, it can't use the usual mechanism to find the
client's address.

Perhaps we can get rsync to look at $SSH_CLIENT, which contains the
necessary information.  We need to think carefully to make sure this
is secure though.

--
Martin