Another way to setup Rsync as an NT Service

David Starks-Browning starksb at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 23 22:34:34 EST 2001

On Thursday 22 Nov 01, JF Paradis writes:
> Here is how:
>
> Use the KILL.EXE from the NT Resource kit.
>
> On my systems, I use the NT scheduler to run
> batch files (using the default AT or the GUI
> WINAT.EXE from the NT resource kit).
>
> At the start of each batch file, I use:
> c:\bin\KILL.EXE rsync
>
> This ensure that rsync is not already running!
>
> Here is my setup:
> 1. No need to install cygwin
> 2. I have FS1 & FS2 to backup on FSX
> 3. The same client batch file is used (use %COMPTUERNAME%)
> 4. I backup the client e: drive to the server .bak folders
>
> Put into c:\bin of all machines:
> - rsync.exe
> - cygwin1.dll
> - kill.exe
> - srvany.exe
> - instsrv.exe

Two remarks:

If you ever do choose to install Cygwin properly, having more than one
copy of cygwin1.dll will cause you problems.  (And indirectly cause
problems for the Cygwin support mailing list, which is why Cygwin
support types like me are vocal about not advertising this approach to
joe-user.)

Not everyone will have kill.exe, srvany.exe, ... because the NT
Resource Kit is not freely available.

Cheers,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)