--no-detach option?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Nov 22 08:27:52 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:07:21AM -0800, Jos Backus wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 08:54:18AM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> > Excuse me, I meant to say if stdin in IS a socket.
>
> That mode of operation is indeed useful when running rsync --daemon from inetd
> or tcpserver. I am talking about a mode in which rsync still listen()s, etc.
> but can be managed by its parent (supervise in the daemontools case).

I'm not familiar with daemontools; I checked the web site and it wasn't
obvious to me.  What's the advantage of using daemontools supervise?  Why
does it need to run the daemon as a subprocess?  Assuming it's a command to
make sure a daemon keeps running, it seems to me that it ought to be able
to work if given a process id and not require any deaemon it could
supervise to be modified to not fork.  I have a script for my own use which
does that.

- Dave Dykstra