rsync server over SSH [includes code patches]

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Nov 22 01:35:29 EST 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:44:22PM -0500, JD Paul wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I've made the changes to my code changes and the new diffs (against
> 2.4.6 again) are included below.
>
> Syntax for running rsync server over a remote shell (e.g. ssh) is now:
>
> rsync [options] -e ssh source [user@]host::module[/dest]
> rsync [options] -e ssh [user@]host::module[/source] dest
>
> Cheers --
>
> 					JD
> 					jdpaul at interstel.net

That's better.  I read over the patch a little more closely this time and
have a few more comments:

    1. The --remote-user option is unnecessary because you can instead
	specify '-e "ssh -l <user>"'.
    2. Please post the patch again against the latest development version
	of rsync out of CVS (http://www.samba.org/samba/cvs.html or
	rsync://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/) because that's the
	form it will need to be in order to get it in.  I'll test it out
	then and look at it closely.
    3. Please post the next patch with GNU diff's -u option.  It's easier
	to read.

- Dave Dykstra