dir list behavior differences?

Don Fike fike at cs.utk.edu
Tue Nov 20 07:49:27 EST 2001

Hello,

I have set up an anonymous rsync server
that seems to work as expected.  However
when I try to access the server from several
other unix boxes using rsync with a command
like this;

rsync netlib3.cs.utk.edu::netlib

I get the motd and then a line that states

client: nothing to do

Now I would expect this to give me a directory
listing.  I do get the directory listing as
expected when doing the command from the local
box.  I have tried other servers listed here;

http://sunsite.dk/info/guides/rsync/rsync-mirroring03.html

and I get the same results, when using some of my
clients I just get the motd and the client: nothing
to do error.

Is this an issue with backwards compatibility between
new server and older client communications?
Is there a way to get the listings as expected for
all clients?

Thanks,

Don

  ICL/UTK                 _/    _/      _/
  fike at cs.utk.edu        _/    _/      _/

 "We're gonna see a brave new world where they run everyone a wire
  and hook us all up to a grid. Yessir, a veritable age of reason"
-Ulysses Everett McGill-