modules madness / ssh regardless of daemon

M. Drew Streib dtype at dtype.org
Tue Nov 20 05:21:25 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 12:24:53PM -0500, Brian Clark wrote:
> And it works. But this next part I don't understand.. I kill the rsync
> daemon on the remote host, then I try the above command line again on
> the local host and it works!? Say what?! By using ssh does it bypass
> the remote daemon altogether?

Yes. When ssh is used, sshd receives the connection, and rsync remote
executes rsync on the server, using permissions it recieved via
ssh.

> Plus, `hosts access' doesn't work in my /etc/rsyncd.conf and using
> rsync as a daemon through inetd or xinetd doesn't even let me make a
> connection.
>
> It's like it's not reading /etc/rsyncd.conf -- I just don't get it.

It isn't. When using ssh, just handle access in the same way you'd normally
handle ssh access.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype at dtype.org>, Free Standards Group
co-founder, SourceForge.net | core team, freedb | sysadmin, Linux Intl.