rsync takes way too long to perform this....

Jason Helfman jhelfman at bizrate.com
Thu Nov 15 07:02:55 EST 2001

rsync -avnp remote::gif/ `find /home/www/html/ -maxdepth 1
-name "*.[j,g][pg,if]*"` /tmp/

If I run this on the local machine, the rsync server, it takes this
long:

---> root at server (0.34)# time find /home/www/html/ -maxdepth 1
-name "*.[j,g][pg,if]*" -type f
/home/www/html/comparestores_2.jpg
/home/www/html/home.jpg
/home/www/html/comparestores_3.jpg
/home/www/html/specialoffer_apparel.jpg
/home/www/html/bike_gary.gif
/home/www/html/gary_bike.gif
/home/www/html/none.gif

real    0m0.015s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

However if I run it from a client, it will take forever. Too much to
run, it seems. Our directory structure has well over a million files.
And this is just one directory under /home/www/html. We can't afford the
cpu and system load to traverse everything, this is why I am using the
find command. Shouldn't this work? It does come back with retrieving the
list from the remote server.

--
Jason G Helfman
Network Administrator

	Fingerprint: DA13 C109 072B CC12 B568  8D84 E9A2 6A7D C479 BCFB
            GnuPG http://www.gnupg.org  Get Private!  1024D/D75E0A36