using rsync to backup windows workstations

Lapo Luchini lapo at lapo.it
Wed Nov 14 22:44:46 EST 2001

> While I appreciate the GPL, I don't think it makes much sense in this
> case.  Why provide source to compile your own cygwin when it's publically
> available in many places already?  Likewise for rsync.

Wasn't a simple hyperlink to the original sources on your page and in a README
sufficient?
After all everyone have "some access" to internet nowadays, having an URL is very much
like having the file itself.
Just my 2 cents, but I am no lawyer and cannot comprehend all the implications of GPL,
tough I read it many times.

A problem remains: wherever you have a full cygwin or not, you're usnig bash or not...
you must use "cygwin posix command line", so that using "rsync alone" is not that much
a good idea IMHO...
Go figure that C:\WinnT\sYsTem32 is called /cygdrive/c/WINTT/system32...

> At the moment, it's "get everything, or you're on your own."  That will change in the
> very near future.

Anyway the "new setup" it under its way (setup has now a new mantainer, thanks Robert)
and it WILL definitely support "required packages" for each package, so that an user
that only needs rsync just selects rsync and it will auto-install zlib an all that is
required (in fact I must install on a clean system to check what is actually needed
just today).

P.S.: maybe we are a bit too much off topic...

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo at lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)