win2k + >2GB files problem

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Nov 9 02:07:52 EST 2001

I thought of that too, Carey, but note this part of his post:
"> It can DOWNload >2gb files from my linux box (with rsync reporting
> negative file sizes during download :), but I want to use rsync to back
> up the win2k host so I need to UPload my soo-large files which does not
> work."
So both systems must support >31bit filesizes.
I'm wondering, though:  Horvath:  are all of these transfers being done
from the same side... for instance, are you on the win2k box, pulling
from, and pushing to, the linux box, or vice versa?
If you're doing them from each end, your path may be making you use
different rsyncs... example:
user at win2k:>echo $PATH
/home/user/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
user at win2k:>

user at linux>rsh win2k 'echo $PATH'
/bin:/usr/bin
user at linux>

Assume there's an old version of rsync in /usr/bin, and a new version in
/home/user/bin, on the win2k box.
when you run rsync FROM the win2k box, you have the path given to an
interactive shell, which finds your new version, 64-bit enabled, and
recieves the files from linux just fine.
Now, you go to the linux box and attempt to send a big file to win2k...
rsync rshes in, finds the old version (32-bit filesize), and chokes.
Might it be something like this?

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"Carey Jung" <carey at itfreedom.com>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
11/08/2001 05:10 AM

        To:     "Horvath Andras" <Horvath.Andras at fornax.hu>
<rsync at lists.samba.org>
        cc:     (bcc: Tim Conway/LMT/SC/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        RE: win2k + >2GB files problem
        Classification:

This most likely has nothing to do with rsync, but rather is due to the
2.2
linux kernel's 2GB filesize limit.  If you are in fact using a 2.2 kernel,
you need to move up to the 2.4 kernel.

Regards,
Carey