no error messages on I/O errors

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Nov 7 05:53:10 EST 2001

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 06:03:44PM -0500, Ian! D. Allen [NCFreeNet] wrote:
> >From: Dave Dykstra <dwd at bell-labs.com>  Nov  5, 16:15
> >Do you happen to be writing to an rsync daemon (with the "::" syntax)?
>
> Nope.  Both dirs are on the same machine; no rsync daemon running.
>
>     rsync -a dir1 dir2
>
> See the bug report for full details.

Ok, I found it at
    http://rsync.samba.org/cgi-bin/rsync/incoming?id=3492

I don't have a handy full filesystem to try it out, but I note that even on
a single system rsync forks two extra processes, one because it acts just
as if is talking to a remote system and one because the receiver side is
always split into two processes (one for generating checksums and one for
creating files).  If you print out the value of am_server in your debugging
fprintf I suspect you'll find that the ones that are getting lost will have
am_server be true, which means it tries to send the messages to the
originating process using io_multiplex_write.  Somewhere those messages are
probably getting lost, see if you can track them further with extra debugging
statements.

Also, I don't know if this has been addressed in the current CVS version
of rsync.  You can get the latest snapshot at
    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync

Also FYI, rsync is unfortunately not being very actively maintained at this
time.   We haven't heard from the current maintainer for a couple weeks and
no changes have been made in nearly 2 months.

- Dave Dykstra