Failed to dup/close : The descriptor is a file, not a socket

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Nov 6 09:26:24 EST 2001

Thomas Lambert [thomas at dscassociates.com] writes:

> I am getting this error on a Win98SE pc, but not on WinNT4 or Linux Redhat
> 7.1 or 7.2.
>
> Failed to dup/close : The descriptor is a file, not a socket
>
> The command I used was
>
> rsync -e ssh gas.exe 10.105.50.180:src/
>
> It works like I said on NT4 and from my Linux pc.  I have cygwin installed
> on the win98 and NT.  Rsync is version 2.4.6  Is it just because Win9x
> SU**s?

Probably at least partially :-)

But are you running the same Cygwin release on both your win98 and NT
boxes?  I believe this problem may have started showing up with the
1.3.3 Cygwin DLL.  I think reverting to 1.3.2 would fix it although I
don't run either of those yet on my production systems (not that
they're bad, I'm just behind).  There was some discussion on the
Cygwin mailing list on fixing this in the rsync source (perhaps by
adding a shutdown() call), but I also think the Cygwin developers are
trying to resolve it in the 1.3.4 release.

-- David