No action from rsync 2.4.6 on HP-UX 11.0

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Thu Nov 1 05:46:04 EST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:23:57AM -0700, wcampill at csc.com wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I have two systems, HP model 9000/800/R380. They are identical systems
> running 64-bit HP-UX 11.0 with 1GB RAM.
>
> I have downloaded and installed the HP rsync binaries, version 2.4.6 on
> both the source and target systems.
>
> The directory tree on the source system contains over 58GB of data in 1.3
> million objects (including directories, links and files), 1.2 million
> normal files. The target directory is empty with 110GB free.
>
> With sample data sets, with several thousand files and hundreds of MB of
> data, rsync works.
>
> When I go to my production data, rsync chugs away for about an hour and a
> half and then I get a prompt back. Nothing is transferred between systems.
> I run rsync in command line mode. Here's what it looks like:
>      Mainsys # cd /export/data/stuff
>      /usr/local/bin/rsync -vca --delete --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync .
> Altsys:/export/data
>      building file list ... Mainsys #
>
> Memory usage is not exceeding 50%.
>
> Any ideas? How can I get rsync to work in this situation?

I can't say why rsync is dying, but definitely do not use -c.  That runs a
complete checksum on every file on both sides.  Without it, rsync will only
look at files whose timestamps don't match.  Since the target directory is
empty in this case, it's computing checksums on all the source files for
nothing.

- Dave Dykstra