Question on encryption

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Fri Dec 21 08:53:55 EST 2001

You've hit on just what rsyncd is best for.  It's not particularly secure,
as it uses plaintext (default null) passwords, so someone working for your
ISP could sniff your password.  the modules (sections of the filesystem
tree you expose via rsyncd) are, by default, accessed in a chroot()
environment, so even if someone gets in, all they see is what they would
see sniffing your transfer, though it's more convenient.
By default, the connection is readonly, so the only trouble they could
cause you would network and disk load from reading your modules.
Tridge wrote rsync specifically to mirror publically-available directory
trees.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

"George Sinclair" <George.Sinclair at noaa.gov>
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org