rsync server over SSH [includes code patches]

JD Paul jdpaul at interstel.net
Thu Dec 20 01:17:15 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Martin Pool wrote:

> On  4 Dec 2001, JD Paul <jdpaul at interstel.net> wrote:
> > Here's a new version of my rsync-server-over-remote-shell patch:
>
> This looks good.  My main reservation is that it makes it even harder
> to explain how rsync works, but I think the increase in flexibility
> justifies it.

I certainly understand that concern!  (I'm sure I'm not the only one
who sometimes thinks that it would be better to split rsync into
several different programs [even if they were the same binary] with
different semantics to make things clearer -- all using the same rsync
engine under the hood.)

> I'd like to get some of the smaller patches in to stabilize 2.5 before
> we do this.

Sounds good to me.

> > P.S.  Question -- is the enum { } of all the OPT_ variables in
> > options.c necessary any more?  It looks like it's not.
>
> Why?  They're used to link from long_options to the cases in
> parse_arguments().  Some of them might be obsolete now, but it doesn't
> seem worthwhile to take them out.

I don't know how I missed that.  I must have been writing late at
night.  :-)

					JD