Problems with rsync on Win2K to Solaris

Ron Kelley rkelley at cisco.com
Thu Dec 20 00:11:43 EST 2001

Hi,

I am having trouble getting rsync (v2.5.0 with the latest version of cygwin)
to work between my Win2K (SP2) and my Solaris 2.6 server.  Both machines are
running the same version of rsync.  Each time I run rsync, I get the
following error:

---------------------
C:\rsync>rsync server1:/tmp/file .
Terminal read: The parameter is incorrect.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(139)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)
--------------------

Debugging stuff I tried:
-----------------------
* Ensured the rsh command works properly when executed from the Win2K box to
  the Solaris server (rsh server1 "ls" - produces correct output).
* Ensured the Administrator user is valid on the Solaris server
* Tried every combination of quotes, slashes, etc
* Tried to rsync in both directions

Also, when I specify the location of "rsh" on the Solaris box, I get the
following error:
--------------------
C:\rsync>rsync --rsh='/bin/rsh' server1:/tmp/file .
Failed to exec /bin/rsh : No such file or directory
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at util.c(137)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

I have tried three Win2K boxes and two Solaris boxes - all end up with the
same problem. I have *not* tried to install rsync as a daemon on the Win2K
box because I don't think that is necessary.

Any ideas?  I am really getting frustrated :-)

-Ron