rsync doesn't accept commands

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Wed Dec 19 11:38:51 EST 2001

Tim:  I'm ccing the list so they'll know what's going on, save duplicated
effort, suggest other solutions, etc. ... private mail and all, but public
forum... anyway, here's the deal i see there.
you're telling rsync to use a password file, used for contacting a rsync
server.  Then, you use the syntax to use external transport.  you need a
double colon between the server and the module name.  I assume, of course,
that you have the server configured and running or started by inetd.

I don't get an error using that wrong syntax - the --password-file  option
is just ignored, but i'm probably running a different version.
It's possible something funny happenned in options processing.  rsync uses
something called "popt".  I don't know what that means, but it works for
me.
does "rsync --version" work?  If not, you're just plain not parsing
commands.  perhaps you'll see something if you trace the execution. strace
in linux, i believe.

Tim Conway
tim.conway at philips.com
303.682.4917
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, n9hmg on AIM
perl -e 'print pack(nnnnnnnnnnnn,
19061,29556,8289,28271,29800,25970,8304,25970,27680,26721,25451,25970),
".\n" '
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

Tim Shubitz <tshubitz at cyclesoftware.com>
12/18/2001 04:25 PM