rsync doesn't accept commands

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Dec 19 10:14:23 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:30:54 -0600
"Tim Shubitz" <tshubitz at cyclesoftware.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>    I've recently become an rsync user and have installed it on a
LinuxPPC box to sync up to another machine. So I set things up and went
to try and start rsync on the Linux box the software does nothing except
list the "read me" like info. The software just won't accept any
commands. I don't get a log, nothing. Any guesses? I'm stumped along
with my coworkers. Any help would be very appreciated. Have a great day!

I'm not sure what you're trying to do...

If you want to start the server, you need to edit /etc/rsyncd.conf and
then do

  # rsync --daemon

If you want to access this

  rsync mymachine::