rsync things to do soon

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Dec 19 09:52:25 EST 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:59:17AM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On  6 Dec 2001, Dave Dykstra <dwd at bell-labs.com> wrote:
>
> > I still hope to write a --files-from option sometime in 2001.
>
> Excuse me if I've forgotten something from earlier: what happens when
> the sender is remote?  Do we send the contents of the file list across
> along with the arguments, or does this option not work in that case,
> or is the file named to be opened on the remote machine?

We'll send the file list across along with the arguments and in place of
the exclude list.  Normally the file list is generated on the sender
side and sent to the receiver, and I'm thinking that using --files-from
when the sender is remote may be able to avoid sending the list back
because the receiver already has it.

It now looks doubtful that I'm going to get to this in 2001 as I've only
got 3 working days left and have some other things I need to get done.
I'll shoot for mid-January.  Don't hold up a 2.5.1 release for this.

- Dave Dykstra