using rsync with Mac OS X

Mark Valence kurash at sassafras.com
Wed Dec 19 03:09:23 EST 2001

So, that's one vote each for options 1, 2, and 3 ;-)

I agree that the ideal implementation would support HFS+ as well as
netatalk's .AppleDouble scheme, Mac OS X's ._<filename> scheme, and
MacBinary for all the rest.  This can certainly be a goal of the
implementation, but personally I am interested in the HFS+ on Mac OS
X part of the problem.

My implementation, whether it is MacBinary based or a change the the
protocol, will leave room for these alternative schemes.  Right now,
I am thinking that MacBinary is the way to go.  This doesn't give the
flexibility and extensibility that a protocol change would give, but
it does have the benefit of supporting existing rsync versions.

Chris I., I'm not sure what you mean by "done at the Darwin level".
If you mean that it should be done based on Darwin/BSD APIs and not
Carbon/Cocoa APIs, then I am in full agreement with you.  The calls
that I'd use to access the resource fork are posix calls
(essentially, it's just an open() call), although the calls to get
HFS metadata are Mac OS X-specific (but not Carbon calls).

Anyway, I'm still mulling all this over, so any suggestions are more
than welcome.  Once a path is chosen and code is written, things will
be harder to change ;-)

Regards,

Mark.