Upgrade from 2.4.4 to 2.4.6

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Dec 14 07:21:33 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:52:35PM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had some issues with rsync over ssh with version 2.4.4 which an update
> to 2.4.6 fixed. The problem I have now is that machines which do not have a
> valid reverse dns entry for their IP addresses get empty directory listings
> from the server, even though they can get the module list and the motd each
> time. This is what I see in the server's log file for each attempt from
> such hosts :
>
> 2001/12/13 13:44:29 [29011] reverse name lookup failed
> 2001/12/13 13:44:29 [29011] forward name lookup failed
>
> Why this behaviour change? I haven't found anything in the man page about
> restricting non-resolvable hosts... and now I need help! :-)

That message comes from the client_name() function in log.c, which is called
at the beginning of the rsync_module() function in clientserver.c, and
CVS doesn't show any change between 2.4.4 and 2.4.6.  I don't think they're
fatal.

> I though trying an upgrade to 2.5.0 would be a good idea... but it's worse!
> I get : "rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer" from all the clients
> I've tried and also a second line with "rsync error: error in rsync
> protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)" when accessing the server from
> itself (client version 2.5.0 too).

2.5.0 has a big problem with --daemon which is fixed in all the 2.5.1pre*
versions under the "preview" directory on the download site.

- Dave Dykstra