definite data corruption in 2.5.0 with -z option

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Dec 13 11:53:38 EST 2001

On 12 Dec 2001, rsync at ka9q.net wrote:
> I just confirmed that data corruption can occasionally occur with
> rsync 2.5.0 when the -z option is used.

Please keep the two directories that caused the problems, if they have
not already been overwritten.

Are you sure you're running 2.5.0 at both ends?

Are you using rsh or ssh?

David: I suspect this might be because the "bit length overflow"
message is being emitted by one end, getting into stderr, and
therefore corrupting the stream.  If this is true, you should be able
to avoid it by upgrading to 2.5.1pre.

Thnks,
--
Martin