permissions in dryrun mode

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Wed Dec 12 02:46:46 EST 2001

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 12:01:18PM +0100, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> I was glad to see a new version of rsync because I though that it was kind
> of dead. :-)
>
> Anyway, I just checked and noticed that the following isn't fixed yet, or
> is considered a feature.
>
> When run in dry-run mode, rsync doesnt report diffs in permissions and
> ownership. IMHO this is not the expected and wanted behaviour, I want to
> see exactly what it would do without the '-n'.

Your way sounds right to me.  Dry-run mode has a lot of inconsistencies.

> I have patches for this vs. 2.4.6, I can recreate them vs. 2.5.0 if you
> like.

It will be up to Martin Pool to integrate it, but if you do make a new
patch do it against the latest "2.5.1preN" version on the rsync download
site.  2.5.1 should be coming out soon.

> In the case that is is considered a feature for some people, can we maybe
> make it a runtime switch?

Please, not another runtime switch.

- Dave Dykstra