protocol error?

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Sat Dec 8 02:13:10 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 12:02:35PM +0900, mho at pobox.com wrote:

> I recently upgraded one of my servers to 2.5.0.  Since then, I've been
> getting error messages like following between 2.5.0 and 2.4.6 servers.
>
> 	bit length overflow
> 	code 3 bits 7->6
> 	code 10 bits 5->6
>
> Does this error come from using different protocol version?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hori Masato
> Software Engineer
> Sony Corporation

I haven't seen it myself, but several other people have reported it and the
conclusion so far is that they are harmless messages from the zlib
library.  A quick glance at the code looks like they should only be printed
if DEBUG is defined and -v is passed.  I see that DEBUG is turned on now by
configure by the --enable-debug option, and it's default is yes.  According
to rsync's cvsweb, the --enable-debug configure option was added last
February which means it's new in the 2.5.0 release.  My guess is these
"bit length overflows" were always happening but nobody noticed it because
the DEBUG mode wasn't turned on.

Martin, I don't think --enable-debug should define #DEBUG, I think it should
only generate debugging symbols.

- Dave Dykstra