Netware modify bit changed

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Dec 7 01:37:02 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:52:31AM -0300, Juan J. López wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2001 at 15:02, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> Date sent:      	Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:02:34 +1100
> From:           	Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org>
> To:             	"Juan J. L?pez" <juan at comports.com>
> Copies to:      	rsync at samba.org
> Subject:        	Re: Netware modify bit changed
>
> > On  5 Dec 2001, "Juan J. L?pez" <juan at comports.com> wrote:
> > > Dave:
> > >
> > > 	With "archive bit" I mean a MS-DOS file attribute (like "read
> > > only", "system" or "hidden").  When the "archive" attribute of a
> > > file is set, that file is presumed to be changed after the last
> > > backup and then must be copied again. The backup aplication
> reset
> > > the "archive" attribute when copy a file. On the other hand, the
> > > operating system (DOS, Windows, etc) set it when the file is
> > > modified.  Why rsync set this attribute on the copy, even when the
> > > original file is unchanged?
> >
> > So the desired behaviour is that rsync should make the archive bit
> > have the same setting on the destination as on the source, or that it
> > should always clear it?
> >
> > At the moment rsync is completely unaware of the A bit, so it will get
> > the default OS behaviour which is probably to set the bit on newly
> > modified files.
> >
> > If anybody who cares about this writes a reasonably clean patch to
> > implement it then I guess it would be considered.
> >
> > I think Samba can optionally map the A bit to the Unix x bit.
> Perhaps
> > you could try that.
>
> 	Rsync don't need to worry about the A bit, IMHO. The A bits on
> files of the destination directory are set when rsync make the file-
> comparison with the source files. May be rsync open the files in
> "write" mode, instead of "read-only" mode, even when the file don't
> need to be transfered from the source (it's identical to original). In
> consequence, the OS sets the A bit.
>
> My conf:
>
> #ncpmount -S netware_server -U netware-user -P netware-pass -V
> SYS /novell
> #rsync -zau --password-file /etc/rsync.passwd backup at source-
> linux::disk-f/source-dir/* /novell/destination-dir
>
> Regards,
> Juan

I'm sorry about my ignorance with respect to Netware and A bits, but I do
recall that some people have had trouble with modification timestamps being
off by a couple seconds when copying between PC-style filesystems which
don't have 1-second granularity and Unix filesystems which do.  Normally
rsync won't read or modify a file if the modification times match.  An
option has been added to rsync to get around this problem.  Try
    --modify-window=2

- Dave Dykstra