command= and arbitrary keys...

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Sat Dec 1 16:32:22 EST 2001

Hi all,

I've asked this question before, but I was never able to fix the problem,
and now it's back again and I'd like to try and resolve it.

I have an authorized_keys file with about twenty keys, most of which are
prefaced with command="/usr/bin/rsync ...". If I put my host key at the
top of the authorized_keys file, I can connect without a problem. If it
gets put near the bottom, ssh seems to pick an arbitrary key, accepts my
passphrase, and starts to run one of the rsync commands.

One of the thoughts was that because many of the hosts are running
openssh-2.3 and not the latest. If it's likely this is the problem, I'll
upgrade them all, but there are a lot of hosts, and I'd rather not do it
if it isn't necessary..

Other ideas, perhaps?

Thanks,
Dave