Why does one of there work and the other doesn't

Randy Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Sat Dec 1 04:01:59 EST 2001

Martin Pool wrote:
> Ian Kettleborough <ian at idk.com> wrote:
> > 1. How much memory does each file to be copied need. Obvisiouly I have too many
> > files.
>
> Hard to say exactly.  On the order of a hundred bytes per file.

I may have misunderstood the question, but maybe we should point out
that, on the receiving end, each file needs at least an amount of *disk
space* equal in size to the file as a new file is constructed before the
old file is deleted.

I am not sure which end the 100 bytes per file applies to, and I guess
that is the RAM memory footprint?.  Does rsync need 100 bytes for each
file that might be transferred during a session (all files in the
specified directory(ies)), or does it need only 100 bytes as it does one
file at a time?

Trying to learn, also,
Randy Kramer