rsync 2.4.6 on Aix 4.3.3 ERROR: out of memory in make_file

Jerry Queirolo jerryq at us.ibm.com
Sat Aug 25 04:37:30 EST 2001

Hello,

Quick history... we have a server that catches build trees from a remote
site (several GB/day).  I have a replacement server set to take over for
the older one.  I initially copied all the data from the old server to the
new server (TB).  The copy took better than a week.  Since the initial
copy, I've been rsync'ing to keep the new server from becoming stale.
Because our build trees are quite large (and have quite a large number of
files and links), I'm unable to rsync at the level I'd like to.  When I
try, I receive the subject message.  I see in 'top' that rsync runs up
about 150MB in memory usage prior to the msg.  The machine running rsync
has 2G ram, and is lightly loaded.

My source server has "/top/release/platform/build"  where /top is the
filesystem, release is ver1, ver2, ver3...vern, platform is aix, nt,
sun..., build is 010824, 010823...;  I'd like to rsync at the release
level, but run out of memory.  Currently, I have a script that traverses
into the release/platform directory and rsync -a.  It works, but I get
accumulation because the --delete option at the "release/" level also
exits with the out of memory.

If 2.4.7pre has anything in it that would help handle large numbers of
files/links, I can try that...

Thanks in Advance,
Jerry Queirolo <jerryq at us.ibm.com>

Any view expressed here is mine, and may not be the same as my employer...