@RSYNC EXIT / @RSYNC EOF

Martin Pool mbp at valinux.com
Thu Aug 23 12:28:50 EST 2001

On 22 Aug 2001, Wayne Davison <wayned at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I checked in this patch, which is meant to consolidate the ones from
> > both of you for handling EOF in a modules list.
>
> OK, this is a good step in the right direction, but the code is still
> incompatible if you use a new daemon with an old rsync.  The problem is
> that the new daemon always outputs the EXIT msg, even if the client
> can't handle it.

Well, it works, but the client sees the line come out in the module
listing.  This is not great.

> We have two options here, either remove the EXIT message (and rely on
> the code you just added to avoid complaining about the EOF when listing
> modules), or up the PROTOCOL_VERSION and only output the EXIT message if
> the client can handle it.
>
> Here's a patch that implements the latter choice:
>
>     http://www.clari.net/~wayne/rsync-EXIT.patch

I had thought that clients refused to talk to higher-version servers,
but apparently not.  It's in.

I'd really like to have a systematic way to test older and newer
versions.  Perhaps a buildfarm machine could have multiple
installations and we could make them test the cvs head to and from
every older version.

--
Martin