--delete option not working

Stephen Carville carville at cpl.net
Wed Aug 8 04:20:17 EST 2001

I am trying to use rsync to move backup file from a cople of Oracle
servers to another machine where they will be backed up to tape.  The
command is run from a script launched by cron and looks like:

/usr/local/bin/rsync --recursive --delete --verbose $BACKUP_DIR/* \
euphrates::tigris/logarch/.

Rsync is running from inetd on euphrates which has the following
defined in /etc/rsyncd.conf:

[tigris]
   uid = rsync
   path = /t/tigris
   comment = tigris oracle backup
   read only = false
   hosts allow = tigris, tigris.totalflood.com

Both machines are running Solaris 8 and rsync 2.4.6.

The problem is the --delete is not working.  After the transfer is
complete, I can do an 'ls' on the two directories and the files not on
the source machine are still on the destination.  Needles to say this
is filling up the target disk very quickly.

I searched the archives and couldn't find any similar problem.  Hard
to beleive I am the first to encounter it.

--
--Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
Government is like burning witches:  After years of burning young