rsync 2.4.7pre1 release
mbp at valinux.com
Mon Aug 6 19:22:38 EST 2001
Well, here's rsync 2.4.7 preview 1:
You need bunzip2 to decompress these files:
The change list is below.
Please, do try this out and let us know either if it works for you or
if it does not. We need both kinds of information to judge if it's
ready for release.
This does not contain, but might before the real 2.4.7 release:
* The rsync+ patches. (Now merged with the head but not on the main
* Wayne's updated EOF and nohang patches. (Look promising but need
If you want to try these yourself and vote for or against them then
please do so.
rsync 2.4.7 (sometime in 2001, maybe :)
* Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> is now a co-maintainer.
* Support for LSB-compliant packaging <http://www.linuxbase.org/>
* Shell wildcards are allowed in "auth users" lines.
* Include/exclude cluestick: with -vv, print out whether files are
included or excluded and why.
* Many error messages have more friendly explanations and more
* Manual page improvements plus scanty protocol documentation.
* When running as --daemon in the background and using a "log
file" rsyncd.conf directive, close the log file every time it is
open when going to sleep on the socket. This allows the log
file to get cleaned out by another process.
* Change to using libpopt rather than getopt for processing
options. This makes the code cleaner and the behaviour more
consistent across platforms. popt is included and built if not
installed on the platform.
* More details in --version, including note about whether 64-bit
files, symlinks and hardlinks are supported.
* MD4 code may use less CPU cycles.
* Use mkstemp on systems where it is secure. If we use mktemp,
explain that we do it in a secure way.
* --whole-file is the default when source and target are on the
* Attempt to fix Large File Summit support on AIX.
* Attempt to fix error handling lockup bug.
* Give a non-0 exit code if *any* of the files we have been asked
to transfer fail to transfer
* Fix --cvs-exclude sigsegv bug.
* Applied "simple nohang patch" from Wayne Davison.
* Update to work with autoconf2.50 and 2.13.
More information about the rsync