[clug] recovering data from dead SSD

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 23 05:14:29 UTC 2022

Hi Bob,

I've tried, without success, on a couple of identical, down-market SATA
SSD.  Those had surprisingly high power requirements of 5V @ 1.5 A and
I've seen others requiring up to 1.75 A.

A couple of others, of similar ilk, are not seen without an externally
powered USB dock - I take it yours was.

The first drives were plastic-cased and I suspected overheating. I now
try to avoid plastic-cased SSD and use bare M2 SSD, in adapters where
applicable.

Rod