[clug] History of CLUG?

Bob Edwards bob at 2hgt.org
Thu Sep 8 22:45:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 02:49:42PM -0700, James Ring via linux wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Brett Worth via linux <linux at lists.samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > For me, the thing that Tridge wrote that has had the biggest impact on me
> > would have to be
> > rsync.
> >
> > I can't imagine how life would be without it.
> >

> Setting up samba servers for real estate companies and stuff around
> Canberra gave me spending money through uni, thanks Tridge! :)

I remember, back in '92, or '93, Tridge introducing me to a skinny international
student he had visiting from Europe, when I was working as a Programmer in the
the ANU Department of Computer Science (now School of Computing, where I still work...).

I think he said his name was Linux Torvalds and that he had written his own
operating system, like Minix, which I had been playing with for some time.

I had no idea, then, who Linus was. I was happy to play with SunOS at work and
Minix at home.

Tridge didn't write git, but there is clear circumstantial evidence that it is
almost certainly named after Torvalds then (mis-placed) frustration with Tridge.
Tridge certainly was involved in the events that triggered the development of git
(and mercurial) and the world is a better place for it.

So, the story of git also needs to be included in any history of CLUG, and
Tridge's impact on Free (and Open Source) Software in Canberra.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.