[clug] 10gbE Woes

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Wed Oct 12 00:46:48 UTC 2022

Hi folks,

I'm running 10gbE from my fileserver to a Netgear M5300 switch via a direct
attach cable to an SFP+ port on the switch.

I just added a TX401 (Marvell Aqtion) NIC to my desktop, linked to the
switch via Cat6 (it has 2 native 10gbE RJ45 ports). The cable honours the
minimum bend radius, and all intermediate connectors are (supposedly) rated
as CAT6. The cable length is about 8m.

I'm running the latest firmware on both the switch and the NIC.

The link rarely comes up as 10gbE, more often it will only connect at 1gbE.

Any tips? Does anyone have access to the (very expensive) equipment that cat
test/qualify 10gbE and would be willing to help me out?

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Google: alastair.dsilva at gmail.com
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org    Twitter: @EvilDeece