[clug] bios problem

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Jan 27 08:38:29 UTC 2022

On 27/01/2022 19.00, peter via linux wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have a 2 year old computer running an AMD ryzen7 on an Asus X570 motherboard, dual booting linux and windows10. I had to disable secure boot to install linux, and all has been well until recently. I tried to boot from a USB stick, but I suspect windows had re-enabled secure boot. When I tried to re-enable it, the setting was there in the BIOS, but greyed out, and I was unable to change it. W10 now does not have an entry in settings to disable secure boot, and pressing shift while shutting down, to access a special menu does not work to change the setting. Searching the net finds many people with the same problem, but no solution. I am hoping that somebody in the group may have a clue for me.

I use windows very little, but when I recently acquired a laptop it had w10. I needed to boot clonezilla
from USB but could not. I found that I need to turn off secure boot to allow standard boot (non UEFI),
and the BIOS will allow this only after I set a BIOS password.

I did not do this but used a 64-bit clonezilla image which is UEFI bootable.

Do check my assertion, this is not my strong suit.

HTH

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)