[clug] Cheap laptops & Linux - a success story

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:40:42 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Picked up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08M62PJ3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $266. Usual specs - quad core Celeron, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC. After
updating Windows for the 1st time, I was instructed to remove the previous
version of Windows to get some space back - I took them at their word. The
unit shares something in common with the GPD UMPCs - the framebuffer is
rotated 90 degrees, so I got the Ubuntu image for the GPD Pocket PC

https://github.com/wimpysworld/umpc-ubuntu

 and installed it. Mostly works - the camera is visible in dmesg output,
but cheese doesn't seem to see it. A bit of poking around should find the
solution, but holidays...

--

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn