[clug] *BNF to diagrams: any suggested tools?

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Sep 9 06:05:49 UTC 2021

Anyone have a favourite command line tool for converting syntax definition files into diagrams?

Wikipedia, "Syntax diagram”, points to multiple tools, some in Javascript.
I’ve seen other compiler tools requiring Java: lots of overhead for command line.
	<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax_diagram#External_links>

I found this tool, written in C, on github.
Compiles and runs, though things like man pages aren’t fully supported.
Seems to support a reasonable range of input files.

	[Docbook / XML source provided, but the Makefile not configured to build them.]

KGT: Kate's Grammar Tool
	<https://github.com/katef/kgt>

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design