[clug] Remote Authentication for Linux

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Sep 1 07:57:14 UTC 2021

The notion of a second “recovery” SSHD on an non-standard is good.
You could also use IP filtering rules to only accept connections from a few IP numbers, drop everything else.
	[Others on list could say how to do that]

SSH with private keys, no password authentication, is ASD/ DSD certified, even for the most highly classified networks.

The Admins control the ssh private key material and only operate from physically secure devices with, optionally, aggressive security measures, eg Two Factor Auth
[Ubikeys do this cheaply on Linux]

I’m not sure why you’re looking for _extra_ ways to “authenticate” when you already have the most secure & easy solution already working.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin