[clug] How to physically label SD-Cards? Any Professional Grade products?

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 29 05:32:10 UTC 2021

On 29/10/21 16:02, steve jenkin via linux wrote:
> Does anyone in the group use, or know of, any professional grade products / solutions for storing and externally labelling a few hundred nano SD-Cards?
>
> This maxim applies to removable media:
>
> 	“If you can’t locate the physical media your data is on, presume it’s gone forever”.
> 	If you can’t find the physical media a backup is on, you have no ‘backup copy’.
>
> Since the 1960’s, mislaid and mislabelled removable media (tapes, disk packs, floppies, …) has been a tricky operational problem.
> Automated Tape / Media Libraries, using barcode labels on cartridges, mean stock-takes can be performed automatically. A Good Thing.
>
> However, media can be manually ejected and removed to points unknown…
> In organisations without controlled & catalogued media storage, I’ve had problems with unskilled staff randomly “cleaning up” and discarding/recycling critical archives.
>
> Below is a note I sent to a manufacturer, just now, asking this question.
>
> I spent 10-minutes on their “Support” line attempting to ask this question.
> Got asked the Product ID and if I’d reformat the card :-/ Poor Help Desk guy was really struggling.
>
> Eventually I asked how I could contact their technical support & he kindly supplied an address.
> Will copy their reply to the list when, or if, it comes.
>
> regards
> sj
>
> =============
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: steve jenkin <stevej098 at gmail.com>
> Subject: How to physically label SD-Cards?
> Date: 29 Oct 2021 at 15:48:54 AEDT
> To: technical_support at kingston.com.cn
> Cc: technical_support at kingston.com
>
> I’m creating, through normal usage, a large collection of SD-Cards containing images or data and have no obvious way to label them on the outside,
> 	so I don’t need to physically load then eject the device into a computer to find the files I am looking for.
>
> I’ve tried putting them in plastic sleeves with tags, but these are bulky and the tags can get separated from the SD-Card.
> For “nano” SD-Cards, it’s very fiddly inserting and extracting the cards from plastic pockets.
>
> Every SD-Card has printing on one-side (Vendor, size, specs, Product Id) with the reverse side blank (black).
>
> This tells me there are inks that adhere to the plastic and are safe to use with it, but I’ve no idea of the specs of those products, or if any consumer products exist that are safe to use with your SD-card product.
>
> There’s also the issue of the placement and depth of any ink / paint on the SD-Card.
> Too thick or in the wrong place, and the marking will foul the reading device, resulting in either a card stuck in the slot, too thick to insert or gummy residue left in the slot.
>
> I’ve seen a suggestion to apply bands of coloured paint, but again, I don’t know what solvents I can use or what substances will bond _permanently_.
> Nor where to place them and how thick is allowed.

> [...]

Not professional grade solutions, but I have used the following:

1    for either size card use a fine-tipped "worksite marker" pen,
available from hardware shops and write on the plastic label.  Only
sufficient space for a sequential number on the uSD cards.  The pens
write a very durable, yet not indelible, mark although generally
available only in Henry Ford's colour scheme

2    round self-adhesive paper dots are available from stationers and
fit the reverse of full size cards.  These are not too thick to
interfere with the card reader and are moderately durable.  The rounded
edges minimise snagging.

3    uSD cards require a thinner label.  I've used small pieces of
packaging tape.  Its' also possible to purchase donut shaped thin
plastic re-inforcing rings for use on paper sheets that are being filed
in ring-binders

FWIW, I gather that memory chips are generally encapsulated in epoxy
resin.  Epoxy paint, from a hardware shop, ought to adhere well and not
adversely affect the base resin.  Would be essential to first test on a
dead card.

Rod