[clug] Changes to org.au eligibility

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Mon May 31 05:22:27 UTC 2021

Hi all,

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 18:42:52 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> For those that don't know, AuDA has changed the rules for eligibility
> to register an org.au domain.  You now (from April 12) need to be an
> incorporated non-profit or registered with the Charity's commission (or
> a few other possibilities) non of which we fulfil currently.
>
> I have had a look at a few possibilities one of which is to have Linux
> Australia as the registrant of clug.org.au and auug.org.au, but for
> them to leave control of the domains with "us" (mostly me at the moment
> :-)).
>
> Alternatively, I could look at making the Canberra Linux Users Group
> some sort of incorporated entity (which, I am told, is not too bad) and
> retain the domains under that ownership..
>
> Comments?

I would like to thank everyone who replied for their input - it was
very helpful.

Here is the washup:

the auug.org.au expiry came upon me rather quickly, so in the end I
asked PCUG (ACT) Inc if they would become the registrant for
auug.org.au to which they agreed.  That change was actioned a while ago
and approved.

In the mean time I and some of my long time associates have formed
Ozlabs Inc (incorporated in the ACT).  The objects of Ozlabs Inc
include "Facilitate online presence for groups or projects that its
members are associated with or interested in" which covers our long
time interest in AUUG and CLUG.  This association (as of today) is the
registrant for clug.org.au.

Sometime in the future, I will see if I can move auug.org.au under the
umbrella fo Ozlabs Inc as well.

So both domains are now preserved in an approved manner.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell