[clug] Laptop Problem

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 6 07:12:53 UTC 2021

My recent experience helping recover from a Kubuntu stuff-up is that it
creates h-u-g-e initrd ~ 80 MB.  A separate /boot looks a bad idea for
Kubuntu.  If it runs out of space to compile a new initrd then it can
hang and fail to delete old kernels, at which point you are in Catch 22
mode.  It is feasible to move the contents of separate /boot partition
to a /boot directory, re-jig /etc/fstab and re-work the boot loader.

I doubt that there is much merit in a separate /boot for laptops.  GRUB
& rEFInd boot loaders have long been able to read btrfs.

Rod