[clug] hostname problem

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:47:24 UTC 2021

/etc/hostname and /etc/hosts

are only for applications that run locally.  To access or see the hostname from outside the machine you need a DNS entry in a DNS
server.  If your router holds a DHCP server it may have gotten the hostname during a startup negotiation or some other one-off
mechanism.  The local hostname is local only, it's not meant to be propagated outside the host, that's what DNS is for, (except, of
course in a windows domain where there is a secure mechanism for a host to set its own DNS entry).

If you want to see your host's DNS name from your local network local network, your router may have a DNS server of some sort in it,
or you might be able to install one in the pi-hole or perhaps a SAMBA server might emulate that function of a windows domain server.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/186859/understand-hostname-and-etc-hosts

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant