[clug] hostname

David C cottrill.david at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:09:51 UTC 2021

Static set in pihole (dhcp reservation) or static set on the server?
Assuming it's the latter, it is DNS resolution in pihole. Either way, it's
a pihole problem but I haven't used one.
For reference, pihole uses dnsmasq under the covers and only exposes a
subset of the functionality and may need you to fiddle with it in depth to
make it work the way you want.

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 9:03 pm Adrian Blake, <adrian.blake at ieee.org> wrote:

> David,
> I have a fixed IP address. I have been using the pi-hole for about 1 year
> and only recently did the hostname change.
>
> Adrian
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:55 AM David C <cottrill.david at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Adrian, there is a few things:
>> a) Hostname in your pihole might be cached from the first time it
>> connected (ever). Have to research that.
>> b) Did you set hostname with `hostnamectl set-hostname [name]? Because
>> systemd filled a hole, you have to fill systemd.
>> c) You can set dhcp client options in something like /etc/dhcp/blah.conf
>>
>> I was leaving this on the assumption that someone else would know the
>> exact answer. Now I'm heading for the certainty that if I'm wrong someone
>> will correct me.
>>
>> David no
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 8:41 pm Adrian Blake via linux, <
>> linux at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I have asked before:  My Ubuntu laptop has acquired recently an unusual
>>> hostname. Not what I have set. I see this because I have a pi-hole and I
>>> look at the entries.
>>> Why is this? I am concerned because I may have a virus or some other
>>> malicious software running in background .
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> --
>>> Adrian Blake, VK2ALF
>>> 101 Mulach St